Monday, January 23, 2017

EXCERPT - UNSPOKEN PROMISES



EXCERPT

“Please don’t make this harder than it already is,” I beg.

I feel suddenly weak and vulnerable in the face of his anger. I flatten my palms against his chest, pushing him away. I need distance between us. I laugh inwardly at myself. Distance, that’s all that’s been there with us, yet I feel I need a canyon to give me the space I need.

“Why are you doing this? We can fix this, Morgan. Don’t walk away from us.” He pushes his hands through his golden blond hair letting out a sigh.

I shake my head, tears still tremble on my eyelids.

I see the hurt in his eyes. I see that I am ruining him. Ruining what we have. I knew this was going to be hard, but I wasn’t prepared for how hollow I would feel in this moment.

In a defensive gesture, I cross my arms across my chest.

I gulp hard, hot tears trickle down my face. “There’s nothing left to fix. Empty promises are worse than lies.”

I see instantly that my words cut him deep. My words hit him hard.

His voice hardens ruthlessly. “You want promises. Here’s one for you.”

His fierce blue eyes darken dangerously. “I promise you this. No matter who enters your life, I will love you more than any of them.”

He turns and punches the wall, leaving a huge gaping hole in it. A picture falls and hits the floor as the glass shatters. Lincoln shakes his right hand, and flexes his fingers. His knuckles are covered in blood.

Jauntily he cocks his blond head to one side. “Be gone before I get back. I can’t be around you a minute longer.”

Lincoln walks out of the room, slamming the bedroom door behind him causing a few more pictures to fall from the wall. I walk and gather the pictures from the floor. The glass is shattered, just like my heart.

It’s a picture of us the night I graduated from Rutgers. Lincoln was behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly against his chest. He whispered how sexy I looked in my cap and gown and he couldn’t wait to get me home to see what I was wearing under it. He nipped my ear, making me laugh and leaned down planting a kiss on my cheek at the moment my dad snapped the picture.

My smile matched his liveliness. This picture told a story. A story of two people in love. I never wanted him to let go. I could be in his arms forever. It’s where I felt safe, where I felt comfort.

Throwing the picture aside, my legs give out from under me and I fall to the floor. Sobs escape me and my body shakes. I weep aloud, rocking back and forth. I knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I knew I needed to do this, and now I’m left here to deal with the fallout of destroying eight years of our lives and our love for one another.

My heart hurts from what I just did and I begin to laugh.

My heart.

Who am I kidding?

Lincoln just walked out the door with my heart.











2 comments:

  1. Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and make cash for every visitor to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a chance you're qualified to get a $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete